Tonight’s the night… the first in the best-of-three series in the 2014 State of Origin rugby league matches between the Maroons (Queensland) and the Blues (New South Wales).
Queensland is riding high, having won every series since 2006, and this confidence shows in the many shades of Maroon sported around town today, not to mention the individual, innovative, and yes, even stylish ways, to support our home team.
For most blokes it’s easy – they simply put on a Maroon jersey and they are good to go for the game, be it watched at home on TV, their local watering hole, or live at Suncorp Stadium. For some women, it’s the same… and you have to admit it’s a simple, no fuss approach, and best of all, modern football jerseys don’t need ironing – reason in itself for their popularity!
But, for some women, they want to wear something different – here are some ideas gleaned from my walk at lunchtime and bus ride home:
- The slim-fit Maroon tee – unbranded – subtle but effective
- The Maroon twin set (pearls optional) – good for the Rock-a-Billy 50s set or the well-groomed mature fan
- The Maroon separates – skirt, top, shoes – the whole shebang – tricky to match up the shades but kudos to those who do
- The Maroon tights – an excellent choice for those with long legs
- The Maroon shorts – I am not talking about just any old shorts – the ones I spotted today were a crepe fabric and beautifully cut, reminiscent of the type worn by starlets in the 1950s. The girl wearing them gave her State of Origin outfit a music festival vibe – worn with t-shirt, leather belt and sandals – über-cool.
And if you really want to up the ante, and if you are lucky enough to watch the series from a corporate box, why not consider the Sacha Drake–Hendricks Pencil Style Dress (named after Mad Men actress, Christina Hendricks) – it comes in Queensland Maroon but not New South Wales Blue – we have the style advantage, aren’t we lucky? It has been nicknamed the Wonder Dress and it promises to make you look slimmer, smarter and sexier. So much so, that it is currently sold out – but you can place your order – in time for the remaining two matches!
Regardless of your attire, get ready to sit back and watch one of Australia’s greatest sporting rivalries and premier sporting events – Match 1 of State of Origin. The calibre of rugby is so good, it is often referred to as the highest level of rugby league played anywhere in the world.
Go the Maroons!